Physical therapy, commonly known as physiotherapy, is a special type of treatment for people who are facing health issues. This treatment is performed by a physical therapist or a physiotherapist by using various techniques and methods such as exercise therapy, mechanical strength and movements, electrotherapy, manual therapy and other types of physical therapies. Physical therapy is a proof based treatment which supports mobility and cures injuries of each patient. Along with the clinical practice, there are some other activities in this profession and they are:
This type of treatment is basically a primary treatment which goes along with other medical treatments.
Responsibilities of Physical Therapist
Physiotherapist helps patients to get rid of difficulties such as injury, illness, disability or ageing to make their movement better. This can be done with the help of manual therapy or massage, electrotherapy and therapeutic exercise. During the ongoing treatment process, the role of a therapist is to encourage the patient on their health condition and provide guidance on how to stay away from injuries and how to handle such injuries by their own. Patients may include aged people, children, sportspersons and stroke patients. As physical therapists, they will have certain responsibilities such as:
• Treating a variety of patients suffering from respiratory and cardiovascular, neurological, neuromusculoskeletal disease for few weeks
• Identifying, evaluating and treating patients according to their physical condition
• With the variety of techniques, they have to develop and assess treatment programs that promote movement and exercise
• Informing patients and their caretakers about the preventive measures so that the patient’s condition improves faster
• Providing reports and case notes to the patients and gather statistics
• They are responsible for sharing the information pertaining to patient’s case history and progress with other health care experts for further investigation
• Getting trained on modern techniques and technologies for treating their patients
• Organizing students and junior physiotherapists as supporting workers for their help
• Being accountable for answering various queries of the patient parties
• They have to be sympathetic, caring and professional at all times
• They must know how to deal with the clinical risk
Reasons to Go See a Physical Therapist
Knee pain, back pain and neck strains are the most common complaints among people In order to get relief from such problems people use painkillers, ointments, oils and sometimes they go for body massage. But nobody ever thinks of visiting a physiotherapist until referred by a doctor. Here are some of the reasons why they are needed:
1. Sports injury – sports person must take care of their health when they are injured. During injury one need to get in touch with an expert to get a fast recovery.
2. Chronic pain – if you have pain that continues for more than a week and affects your everyday performance then you need to seek the help of an expert. They will identify your problem and treat it accordingly.
3. During and after pregnancy – the pregnancy period is a very crucial period when hormonal level changes frequently as a result of which the ligaments that support your back can become soft. If the joints of your body are not provided with good support, then your pelvis or back will get injured very easily. This type of health problem can only treat by a professional who knows various modern techniques and exerciseto help you get rid of it.
4. Post-surgery – Depending on the type of surgeries a patient may need experts’ help for rehabilitation and here comes the role of a physio in the picture.
So, on the basis of the above mentioned points, it can be well concluded that the role of physiotherapy and the expert providing the treatment of physiotherapy is immense in the lives of human beings. To live a healthy and fit life people should always have faith in physiotherapy.
About the Writer
This post is written by Joseph Webb. Joseph is an excellent blogger and philosophers, His keen observation to provide useful information which helps readers to get more ideas. He can be found on Facebook and on Twitter as @aussiesmag.