During pregnancy, a woman will experience a number of changes, especially within her body as it prepares for the baby’s arrival. During this time, it’s not only her baby bump that grows but also her breasts, which can affect the mother-to-be’s maternity style.
Suddenly, you find yourself factoring in breast growth so that you can elegantly adjust to your body’s ever-changing shape. Since this aspect of pregnancy is typically not even thought about, you may find yourself having a difficult time accommodating to these changes.
That being said, here are 5 maternity style tips to help you dress elegantly throughout your pregnancy, while also adjusting to an increase in breast size:
1. Discover the power of a good maternity bra – Even though your bra is underneath your clothes, it has the power to make or break your outfit. If you experience breast growth during your pregnancy, you will find that your old bras have become too small, uncomfortable, and ill-fitting. If this happens, take some time to buy several new and comfortable maternity bras that you can wear under various outfits, such as dresses, T-shirts, and blouses.
2. Steer clear of high-neck tops – While high-neck tops may seem like a good idea for hiding breast growth, they actually end up emphasizing your growing assets. Steer clear of high-necks and opt for boat neck tops that will show off your collar bones.
3. Choose a V-neck to flaunt your stuff! – V-necks typically suit large breasts better, making wrap-around dresses and tops a great maternity style staple. If you feel that the pieces available are too revealing for your liking, pair it with a camisole underneath for a perfect and sexy look.
4. Consider proportion – As your breasts grow, your torso may appear shorter than it actually is. To reverse this effect, try wearing tops and blouses that are longer and fall beyond the waistline.
5. Don’t forget to accessorize! – Jewelry can do wonders for any outfit, that’s why you should add long and chunky necklaces or scarves to your outfits when possible. These accessories not only look great and take attention away from enlarged cleavage and breasts, but they also give your outfit a unique flair!
The above five tips will help you make the most of your experience as a mom-to-be. Incorporating these tips while getting dressed during your pregnancy will leave you looking and feeling great despite all of the new, and typically uncomfortable, physical changes you will encounter.
Are you still concerned about which pieces to shop for when maternity shopping? If so, then refer to this list of pieces that have been selected specifically for women who undergo breast growth during pregnancy:
1. Tunics – These long tops are slightly over-sized, reaching below the hip and serve as perfect dresses during the first few months of pregnancy. In the later stages, they can be paired with leggings for a casual yet chic look.
2. Maxi dresses – Opt for one with a V-Neck cut and soft, loose fabric, so that you can wear this dress throughout the many phases of pregnancy. Long and flowy, maxi dresses are an amazing maternity style staple as they accentuate curves, are exceptionally comfortable, and can be dressed up or down for any occasion!
3. Unstructured cardigan – Pairing a no-button cardigan over tops and dresses is a comfortable way to stay warm during pregnancy. It’s unstructured and flowy fit is perfect for accentuating curves, plus it is suitable for all stages of pregnancy.
4. Wrap dresses and tops – What’s great about these pieces is that they are adjustable, making them comfortable for any stage of your pregnancy. Wrap dresses and tops also look great with a camisole and if they have a plunging neckline, you can accessorize with scarves or necklaces for a sophisticated look.
5. Frocks – If selected well, frocks can look great on women who experience breast growth during pregnancy. To avoid feeling over-exposed, choose an A-line cut with a relatively open neck and a pronounced empire line to accentuate curves.
With these five effective maternity styling tips and suggestions, you can dress both elegantly and comfortably during pregnancy and breast growth. Test them out and see which pieces work best for you and remember that your pregnancy should be enjoyable while still allowing you to always wear what you love!
Melissa is a young and energetic writer, a mom to a sweet little boy, and a fur-mom to two perfect pooches. Before becoming the Associate Content Director for Project Female, she was a journalist specializing in topics related to women in politics and policy affecting women.