Before we get into details about evaporative cooling we need to understand the working of this system. This cooler is an appliance which is box-shaped with porous surfaces that let the air pass through them. The fan, which is inside the unit pulls the air from the outside into the house. Each of the porous sides is fitted with a material which can absorb water as this leads to cooling of the air.
How Evaporative Cooling Become an Effective Cooling Technique?
For effective cooling, you need to make sure that each of these pads is damp. This dampness leads to maximum cooling as dampness tends to lead to maximum evaporation. The amount of water has to be adjusted off and on making sure that the pads are damp all the time.
The Many Benefits of Evaporative Cooling:
These coolers are a preferred choice for many homeowners due to the many benefits they provide.
- Affordable: As compared to other cooling systems, these coolers work out cost-effective. This is one factor which is considered by most homeowners as not all can afford the air-conditioning systems available these days. Not only for the appliance but even the cost of installation can fit into any budget.
- Eco-Friendly: As we know refrigerated cooling systems tend to make the air drier, besides which certain chemicals are used for the process of cooling in these. This can be harmful not only to the atmosphere but also to the environment. Evaporative cooling is a natural process which leads to the healthy atmosphere of the air given out is much cleaner without any chemicals. You do not experience any exposure to dry air with these systems. You can keep the windows and doors open when operating these systems, which is any time healthier.
- Easy Maintenance: These evaporative coolers are designed in a simple manner, with only two main parts, the fan motor, and the pump. The basic maintenance required for these coolers is regular flushing and draining, cleaning the screens of the pump, adding some oil and replacing the tubing if this is cracked.
- Moisture Retained: For those living in dry climates, refrigerated cooling is a discomfort as the air tends to get drier and lead to uncalled for health problems. This is not so with evaporative cooling systems. Breathing is more comfortable with the evaporative cooling systems as compared to air-conditioners. In case of air conditioning systems, the level of moisture retention often destroys the entire functioning of the system, but this is not the system with the evaporative cooling system. If the air conditioner fins are not cleaned regularly, moisture retention can lead to health issues, which is not the case with evaporative cooling.
Some Types of Evaporative Cooling Systems:
You have a choice between different evaporative cooling systems, some of which are
- Indirect Evaporative Coolers: These coolers make use of an evaporative media which is suited for a cooling tower. This helps in cooling down to the approaching temperature. These are good for small home spaces.
- Direct Evaporative Coolers: This type of systems cool down the air in the surrounding before releasing it in the medium. This helps in increasing the humidity and removing stagnant air from the surroundings.
- Side-draft Units: These units are installed on one side of a home, like a window. This tends to blow in the cool air inside a home. This operation is similar to a window air-conditioner.
Besides the above mentioned you also have a choice between the up-draft units, combined systems, standalone systems, downdraft systems and portable evaporative systems. You need to go through the different choices available to determine which fits your requirement. Let’s go to the details and get more useful information.