People generally hire experienced professionals to mount a split system air conditioner. However, if you have courage and the required experience with plumbing and electrical work, you can undertake split system installation on your own. Each split system air conditioner is unique to its manufacturer for the ways of installation. Therefore, you should ask dependable experts to do the installation in the required scientific manner.
System Split Installation can be easily done in the following 3 simple steps
It is important to purchase a star graded, certified unit from a reputed store. Remember followings:
- Choose certified split system from a reputed store
- Arrange installation by certified, experienced, licensed AC technician
- Arrange at a suitable time
- Visit related web sites to learn AC installation
Split System Installation Guide: A must know
First, install the indoor unit as mentioned below:
- Select an unobstructed location on your interior wall
- Ensure protection from direct sunlight and heat
- Avoid locations where gas may leak or oil mist exists
- The unit requires at least 6″ of open space surrounding its top and sides and should be mounted at least 7 feet above the floor
- The wall should be strong enough to hold the weight of the unit
- Install the mounting bracket of the indoor unit at least 3.3 feet away from any kind of power connecting
Know how to Drill a Hole in the Wall for Piping
Once the installation of mounting bracket is complete, drilling a hole of required diameter is important for a successful split system installation. Go through the following points:
- Consider the best spot for the hole, on the basis of the opening in the mounting bracket.
- Consider the length and the distance required for the pipe to travel to reach the outside unit.
- Drill hole that is 3″ in diameter. It should have adequate slope exteriorly to aid in drainage.
- Insert a flexible flange into the hole.
Checking of the Electrical Connections
- Lift the unit’s front panel and remove external cover.
- Be sure that the cable wires are connected to the screw terminals properly.
- Make sure that they match the diagram of the guidebook that comes with the unit.
Connecting the Pipes
- Run the piping from the indoor unit toward the hole drilled on the wall. Avoid bending too much to ensure that the unit performs as specified.
- Cut PVC pipe 1/4″ shorter than the length between the interior and exterior wall surfaces.
- Place the pipe cap on the interior end of the PVC pipe. Then you have to put the pipe into the hole drilled in the wall.
- Now, bound all the three pipes namely the copper pipes, the drainpipe, and the power cables together with electrical tape. Place the drainpipe on the bottom to ensure a free drainage of water.
- Run the bounded pipes and cables through the hole in the wall.
Installation of the Outdoor Unit
- The outdoor unit’s location should be away from dusty, humid, or hot areas.
- It needs 12″ of space surrounding its perimeter for proper functioning.
- Secure the outdoor unit to the mounting plate by pressing the unit against the mounting bracket.
Connect the Electrical Wires
- Remove the cover
- Refer to the wiring diagram to ensure the cable wires are connected accordingly
- Fix cables with cable clamps and remove all covers
- Secure the pipes’ flare nuts to the corresponding pipes on the outdoor unit of the system
Fasten the piping to the wall with clamps. Once you are done, then seal up the hole in the wall using expanding polyurethane foam. Hence, this is the complete split system installation tips and steps to follow.